Today is June 1 a brand new month. As I read Proverbs 1, I was reminded that it is a book of wisdom. James 1: 5 says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." How does God give wisdom...through the Bible. It is our owner's manual for life. I once heard a story about a son going off to college. He asked his dad if he had any advice for him on how to succeed. His dad challenged him to read a proverb everyday that corresponded to the day of the month throughout his college years. The son took his dad's advice and gained much wisdom. Proverbs continually reminded him to choose righteousness and not give into the world's temptations. The wise father gave his son the best advice anyone could give for success. Following God's ways as written in His Word is the path to success.
I also read my Word of Life Quiet Time. My favorite verse from Isaiah 49 is verse 10. "See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction." This also is confirmed in Romans 5:3 "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." James 1:2 also says "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith developes perseversnce. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complet, not lacking anything.
There have been times in my life where I have asked God if I could rest a little from my growing experiences. Like now. Getting a good report from my biopsy is like God saying, rest now. I am thankful for the times that difficulties have helped me mature in my faith in God. They are hard but they produce perseverance and hope in my life.
When I saw all the uprooted trees from the tornadoes, I realized that we need deep roots to stand the storms of life. So instead of resenting difficulties, I just think my roots are getting deeper. That's a good thing.
I love the analogy with the roots and the trees. It is so true and such a good picture.
ReplyDelete