Monday, June 20, 2011

SONROCK KIDS CAMP DOESN'T STOP FOR THUNDERSTORMS









This is the article I wrote today for the church newsletter.

SONROCK KIDS CAMP GOES TO PLAN B

The V.B.S. team had planned, prepared, publicized and prayed for our first community outreach Vacation Bible School. We had put up signs at the entrances to all the housing additions in the Thompson Park area and distributed 200 door hangers. We were ready.

At 6:30 Monday morning I woke up to a thunderstorm. Hmmm, surely it will stop by 10:00 I thought optimistically. Then I saw lightening flashing across the sky and hail started clinking against my window. I expected spiritual warfare this week but I was not expecting an all out torrential downpour on the first day. Whenever we try to reach people for Christ, Satan tries to thwart our plans.

My phone started ringing every five minutes. The leaders wanted to know what we were going to do now. That was when Plan B came into existence. They were directed to go and set up at church. Vickie Hovenstine and I sat in my car at Thompson Park waiting for anyone that might come so that we could direct them to Grace.

Pam Bandy suggested that we invite all the children from Grace to come. Great idea! Vicki Roberts sent out a church wide email and Vickie and I began calling families to invite them to come. Seventeen children braved the storm to come to our first day of V.B.S.

The storm didn't stop us from holding SonRock Kids Camp. It just moved us to a new location. Romans 8:28 came to my mind. "And we know that in all things (even thunder storms) God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Our team showed great flexibility and perseverance as we made adjustments.

My new motto is, "Always have a Plan B when you are planning anything outdoors!"

No comments:

Post a Comment