I have five minutes to blog so that I can make it to church by 9:00. Today I'm driving to Spring Hill to take some teens down for a week of serving and fun at camp.
Isaiah 49 wouldn't have meant much to me without reading the commentaries in my Life Application Bible and the Word of Life Quiet Time book. I learned about corporate solidarity. It is Isaiah's way for predicting a soon-to-occur event and a distant future event at the same time. Many references are for the present time of Isaiah but also referring to Jesus the Messiah first and second coming in the future. How interesting.
The commentary referred me to Psalm 90:4 the oldest psalm written by Moses in 1440 B.C. It says a day is like a thousand years to God and a thousand years can be like a day. Then I was referred to II Peter 3:8-9 that says about the same thing. It was written in A.D. 67 by Peter. Then Isaiah 49:8 written in 8in 681. B.C. by Isaiah says, In the time of my favor I will answer you, and the day of salvation I will help you." Peter explains that the reason for the delay is all God's timing so that more people will have time to come to Him and be saved. He does not anyone to perish (eternally separated from God).
Somewhere I read that the Bible was written over a period of 1400 years by 40 different authors. Yet it is all inspired by God and nothing contradicts other authors. Today's study supports that.
Okay on to Proverbs 3. AJ called me on his way to work as I was reading it. He was talking about how much discipline Ari needed at this age. So I shared vs. 11 with him. "My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and no not resent his rebuke because the Lord discipline those he loves, as a father the son he delights in." How appropriate for our conversation (right there in today's reading). I also once read that the majority of discipline for children needs to take place before the age of five. Then the time invested will pay huge dividends in the future. So all you parents who might read this blog I say keep up the discipline and it will reap a lifetime of benefits as your child grows up.
I now have 17 minutes until I have to be at church. Gotta run.
No comments:
Post a Comment