Monday, July 9, 2012

The Five Languages of Love

Together Time at Indiana Dunes with Erin and AJ

Several years ago I read a book with the same title as this post.  It was then that I realized my number one love language is time.  The five are:  time, acts of service, gifts, affirming words and touch.  So my request for Mother's Day this year was a special time away with just my two kids. 

It took a little while to coordinate all our schedules and find a good weekend.  Erin picked the place, Indiana Dunes, and made the hotel reservations at the Hilton in Chesterton.  AJ worked a half day and picked me up at 12:45 for our trip.  Erin also worked a half day Friday and drove from Wheaton to meet us.  It was a two hour drive for her and a three hour drive from Indy.

On our way up, AJ and I stopped at Fair Oaks Farms so that I could show him how cool it was.  A baby calf is born almost every hour.  We got to see a one of the baby's shortly after being born  It's mama was licking it.  Glad we don't do that to our newborns!

Erin arrived first at the hotel and checked in our room.  AJ and I got there fifteen minutes later with a surprise for Erin.  Cheese Curds that AJ bought for her at the farm.  She loved them.

Then we were off to the beach.  It is so amazing that we have a beautiful beach with dunes only three hours from Indy.  We should definitely go more often.  Much easier than flying to Florida.  In the future we plan to have family vacation at the dunes.  It is a good spot to meet between Chicago and Indianapolis.

Erin and AJ climbed a sand dune.  She is six months pregnant!  I just sat on a blanket on the beach.  My knee was injured a few weeks ago and climbing a dune was not an option.  However I loved walking along the beach together collecting smooth round rocks.  AJ and Erin skipped then across the water. 

We left the beach when we got hungry and headed for Applebee's.  Erin and I both had the house sirloin.  They have great steaks at Applebee's

It was almost time for the sun to set so we drove back to the beach.  The orange and gold over the Lake Michigan was beautiful. 


We played Blockus and Upwords at the hotel before going to sleep.  AJ won at Blockus and Erin won at Upwords.  I'm not competitive at all so it didn't matter to me if I lost.  Just being with my son and daughter was all I wanted to make me a happy mom. 

Planning ahead for our overnight, I brought two pairs of earplugs.  Guess who snores.  Me!  When I got up to go to the bathroom early in the morning both Erin and AJ were laying on their sides with pillows over their ears.  Erin, who was in the same bed with me, said at 3:00 she couldn't stand it any longer.  She got up and found the ear plugs in the dark.  What can I say.  Love has to overcome many things, even snoring.

I'm already looking forward to next year's Mother's Day getaway.  Time with my kids is the best present of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment